Kind of randomly a few years ago, I noticed pistachios started popping up everywhere. I began to see these packages everywhere I turned.
Oh and don’t forget these
Can anyone relate?
Regardless, I became interested in just why these were suddenly so popular.
Turns out, pistachios are actually a superfood. There it is again… another superfood 🙂 Gosh there are just so many!
So what makes them a superfood?
1. Pistachios are packed with fiber and protein, helping you feel full and satisfied after eating (they actually have as much fiber in one serving of pistachios as one serving of oatmeal!)
2. They contain healthy fats. Our bodies NEED fats. As long as they are in a moderate amount and come from good sources, they can actually promote in maintaining or losing weight
3. They contain the least amount of calories per serving out of all other nuts. Pistachios only contain 160 calories for get this… 49 nuts!!! pretty much double the amount of almonds you could have for the same amount of calories.
4. Eating shelled can actually promote weight loss. Since you need to take time to break apart the shell to eat them, you give your brain more time to tell yourself you are full so you don’t overeat.
5. They contain antioxidants, which helps your cells to prevent against diseases.
Pistachios are amazing too! They’re one of those flavors that is extremely unique to just pistachios. If that makes any sense 🙂
The other day I actually had a hugeeeee dilemma with pistachios. I had purchased a very filled bag of shelled pistachios from the bulk section of my grocery store. I knew I was planning on using them to make pistachio butter, but I didn’t actually put together the fact that I would have to shell every. single. one.
It took me a good hour and a half to two hours to shell them all.
I will never ever ever ever make this mistake again. I really don’t think there could have been a bigger waste of my time… not to mention the fact I pretty much lost feeling in both my thumbs and index fingers.
That aside, look out for a unique pistachio recipe tomorrow 🙂 I am going to go start preparing it now, and I am very very confident it’s going to be amazing!!
Question: What is your favorite way to have pistachios?
I love my Pistachio Oatmeal, but I have the feeling tomorrow’s recipe might top it!