For those who have known me for a long time know I make probably the best coconut cream pie in the world. Yes, that’s very cocky of me to say, but hey it’s that good. 🙂 So for me to say this breakfast tastes exactly like it is a really big deal. It completely captures the unique thick, custardy, coconut-y center along with the light fluffy cream and perfectly toasted coconut that my pie is known for.
What you are going to need is
1. 3/4 cup bran flakes
2. 3/4 cup coconut milk (mine was just from a carton)
3. 1/3 cup coconut flavored yogurt
I VERY highly recommend using this one if you can find it. If not, test out a few flavors, and MAKE SURE it screams coconut.
4. 1/8-1/4 tsp coconut extract (taste as you add)
5. a good pinch of salt (this is actually really important, it balances out the sweetness)
6. a little bit of vanilla, or vanilla flavored stevia drops
7. stevia or sweetener to taste (i didn’t add any because i used the stevia drops… just go by what you like).
8. Agar base (ingredients include agar flakes, coconut milk, coconut extract, stevia, vanilla, xanthan gum, guar gum, and salt)
9. toasted unsweetened coconut (1 tbsp)
Combine 1-7 together, and set in the fridge either overnight or until very thick.
Now make agar base. Click link and follow directions up until where you put it into the fridge. Also, use coconut milk instead of almond milk.
In the morning your custard should look like this.
Next, take out your base, and cut out 1/4th of it. In a high power blender, blend with about 1 tbsp of water to start. Keep blending, and after about 5 minutes add a little more if it’s not fully mixed in yet.
Add in 1/8 tsp of guar gum, 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, 1/4 tsp coconut extract, a pinch of salt, and then vanilla and stevia to taste.
If you don’t have guar gum or xanthan gum that’s okay, it just won’t hold up as firm as mine did. It’ll still taste just as good though.
Finally, toast your coconut at 350F. I have no idea how long I toasted mine for. With coconut it varies so much. There is one way you can always get it done perfect though. The second you start to smell coconut, turn off the oven, and I guarantee it’ll look like this.
Finally, assemble your creation!
Seriously, I felt like I was having my famous pie for breakfast.
I can’t think of a better way to start my day 🙂
Question: What is your signature dish?
Mine’s either this pie, or my cupcakes… I make killer cupcakes 🙂