So I have been doing a lot of research of amaranth lately… a lot of research.
Through this research I have found out a few things in regards to the preparation of amaranth:
1. It’s the most unique in its’ popped form
2. A lot of people mix it with a thin smoothie… they call it cereal cream and have it in a bowl for breakfast
3. Very few people actually just have cooked amaranth… apparently it has an earthy texture.
4. It’s commonly used to top or finish off things… like ice cream or even peanut butter cups
Taking all of these notes into consideration, I wanted to create something that no one has ever done before.
A popped amaranth based recipe including a healthy homemade ice cream that is close to the texture of soft serve.
At first, I was just going to make a banana ice cream and top it over the popped amaranth, but come on that’s kind of just cutting corners.
I wanted something out of this world, and for me, that’s rich peanut buttery ice cream… with no banana taste.
All you’re going to need for this recipe is
1. 1 serving of my homemade peanut butter ice cream
2. 1/4 cup regular amaranth
Start out by popping your amaranth. Do one tablespoon at a time, and you will get this much:
Set in the fridge overnight to cool. Also, make the base for the peanut butter ice cream, and put that in the fridge as well.
In the morning, mix up your ice cream, and scoop it over your amaranth.
Stir this all together, and I promise you you’ll have the best sundae you’ve had in a long long time 🙂
Question: What’s your favorite ice cream topping?
Mine is sprinkles!!! (or peanut butter) I’m going to be using sprinkles in a recipe soon actually, so look out for that 🙂