If you have read my blog at all the past few days, you probably noticed I haven’t been myself lately. I had put myself in a position that resulted in me being way more stressed in my entire life. So much so that I’m still feeling the effects from it days later.
Many times people relate being healthy to eating well. While this does have a lot to do with it, it’s not the only factor in being healthy. Stress is a huge precursor to poor health and sickness. You would think that as a healthy living blogger, I would know to not let myself get to this point, but hey nobody’s perfect.
I think that we all overextend ourselves at one point or another. The important thing is to realize when we have done so and fix it.
As I have talked about many times before, it’s all about listening to your own body and your own instincts. Sometimes we need to step back and really evaluate a situation. Just because someone else was able to handle a similar situation just fine doesn’t mean it’s right for you.
After going through this the past few days, I’ve definitely learned a lot. I’ve put together something I think you guys might find helpful if you’re ever in a similar situation.
It’s a check list that I want you to go through when you feel overextended.
1. Sleep on it… 1 to 2 nights. If it’s a big decision and you can wait two nights, definitely do. If you feel the same 48 hours later, I can almost guarantee a change needs to be made.
2. Who in your life do you trust? Who has good judgement? Figure out a few people that would really give you sound advice and know you well enough to be able to guide you in the right path. Definitely ask more than just your parents if you can though. They can be a bit biased :).
3. Try to picture yourself continuing on. If you can’t even see yourself being able to continue on with the way things are, a change is probably necessary.
4. Have you been acting any differently? Are you unable to sleep soundly or have you lost your appetite? Do you feel secluded from others? Are you acting in any other negative way since this all started?
5. Do you feel like you’re losing yourself? Do you feel like your personality has changed negatively?
I’d say if you’ve answered yes to at least 3 of these, then you’re going to have to change some things. It is not going to be easy, trust me, but the way I look at it, it’s your life. There are so many opportunities and paths out there that maybe this isn’t the right one for you. Chances will arise when you least expect it, and sometimes you do have to go with your gut. Even if people around you may frown upon your decision.
I hope this was somewhat helpful to you guys! I’m leaving for Skaneateles tomorrow, but I’m bringing my computer, so daily blogs will still occur. They’ll probably be a lot more interesting actually :).
For those of you who have been reading the past few days, thank you for reading more! I can’t express enough how much I appreciate you guys 🙂
Okay, I’m off to John and Mary’s! We were supposed to go yesterday, but ended up going to Chipotle instead. Not complaining! 😀